Telephone Coaching of Family Members of Veterans with Alcohol or Substance Abuse Problems
This study can help you to encourage your loved one to get the treatment they need and deserve, through a web-based program and telephone-based coaching. You will be compensated for participation in this study. Call 215-823-6343.
Does your spouse or family member need help for alcohol or substance abuse? Is your loved one an Iraq or Afghanistan military Veteran? Are you having a hard time convincing them to get help? If you join this study, we’ll provide you with access to brief telephone coaching (support and advice) and an engaging website designed to help you effectively encourage your loved one to start treatment for their alcohol or substance abuse. Give us a call to see if you’re eligible to join the study! (215-823-6343) Even if the study is not a good fit, we can still work with you through our service, Coaching Into Care, to help you help your loved one.
This study involves:
- Talking with a research coordinator to ensure that this study is right for you
- After informed consent, Complete a telephone survey (~30 minutes)
- Participate in 8 - 12 coaching phone calls, each lasting approximately 45 minutes, over the next 4-6 months, to help you learn how to effectively talk with your loved one about getting treatment
- Spend time using our study website, which provides brief lessons for how to best care for yourself and help your loved one get treatment
- Complete a follow-up telephone survey (~30 minutes)
Who can participate?
Intimate partners, spouses or other family members of Iraq/Afghanistan U.S. military Veterans who:
- Have a Veteran family member with signs of alcohol or substance abuse
- Are with a Veteran who is not currently receiving treatment for this problem
- Have daily contact with a Veteran and live with or within 30 minutes of them
You may be compensated for participating in this study. Call 215-823-6343 to see if you’re eligible
- Investigator: Steven Sayers, Ph.D., Research Psychologist, CMC VA Medical Center (Philadelphia)
- Study duration and period: Approximately 12 months
- Contact: Christina Babusci 215-823-6343