Sierra Pacific (VISN 21) MIRECC
TMS Education Overview
Jump to other Education Areas
Click here or on the map for a list of clinic locations.
Please contact the Clinical rTMS Program Team using ClinicalrTMSProgram@va.gov for all email inquiries.
Michelle Madore, PhD, Clinical Neuropsychologist: Program Evaluation Leader Michelle.Madore@va.gov
Celestine Navarro: Program Specialist Celestine.Navarro@va.gov
Others Providing TMS Education: Mark George, MD, Allyson Rosen, Ph.D., ABPP-CN
What is transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)?
TMS is a clinical tool used to change activity in the brain without drugs. TMS therapy works by placing a special coil on the head that delivers magnetic pulses which, over several sessions, cause those stimulated regions to function better.
The National Pilot Program is a Mental Health Funded pilot project which began in FY 2017 to expand access to TMS. The effort is based upon the work of Dr. Yesavage as PI of Co-operative Study (CSP 556) in treatment resistant major depression disorder (TRMDD) in Veterans. rTMS is FDA approved for treatment resistant major depressive disorder. This effort focuses on starting TMS clinics in the VA and includes purchase of rTMS equipment, assisting in staff training, aiding in developing VA documentation including credentialing and hospital center memoranda, clinical consultation, and evaluation of national Veteran response to TMS Therapy.
- Open and Support TMS Clinics in the VA
- Coordinate Purchasing TMS Machines through a National Bidding Process
- Educate TMS Prescribers and Operators
- Evaluate Veteran response to TMS through Outcome Data Collection as part of Program Evaluation
- Provide Ongoing Continuing Education
- Assist with Credentialing and Administrative Set-up
- Develop Model Memoranda and Procedures
Products and Education
Information for VA Professionals (VA Intranet only)