VISN 5 MIRECC - Educational Core
The VISN 5 MIRECC Education Core, is directed by Dr. Melanie Bennett, and the assistant director is Dr. Samantha Hack. It includes a multi-faceted and coordinated program of education, training, dissemination, community networking, and technical assistance to help achieve the overall MIRECC mission of improving the recovery and community functioning of Veterans with serious mental illness. Drawing on findings from the MIRECC's Clinical Core and Research Program, the Education Core promotes the translation of research and clinical findings into improved evidence-based practice. Core activities target diverse audiences including Veterans; their family members; VISN 5 mental health staff, clinicians, and Peer Support Specialists; research scientists; other VA service providers; and trainees across a variety of disciplines. Programs extend to community-based care, support, and advocacy organizations working with Veterans in the VISN 5 area. The specific goals of the Education Core are to:
- Offer educational opportunities and resources to Veterans living with serious mental illness, and their family members and caregivers, on topics related to mental health recovery.
- Develop and offer educational programming for VA clinicians, Peer Support Specialists, and trainees across disciplines on topics of importance to the effective treatment of Veterans with serious mental illness, including training in evidence based practices and other interventions studied as part of MIRECC supported research.
- Collaborate with researchers and policy makers on developing and offering educational activities for a variety of audiences across VISN 5 and VA nationally on topics related to serious mental illness and mental health recovery.
- Disseminate findings and products generated from MIRECC supported research throughout VA and to the non-VA Community, including collaborative exchanges of information and resources between the MIRECC, the facilities within VISN 5, and settings within neighboring communities. Establish the VISN 5 MIRECC as a regional and national resource for information, education, materials, and technical assistance in the area of serious mental illness.
- Implement evaluation for MIRECC educational programming to ensure broad reach and high quality.
For more information about the Educational Core's activities, please visit the Education & Training page.