VISN 2 Center for Integrated Healthcare (CIH)
Foundations for Integrated Care: Behavioral Health Solutions for Primary Care
The Foundations for Integrated Care: Behavioral Health Solutions for Primary Care series is an excellent resource for anyone who is integrating mental and behavioral health services into primary care. This set of training manuals is the result of a productive collaboration between the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) 4 Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center (MIRECC) and VA's Center for Integrated Healthcare (CIH), with the support of a variety of other centers and experts. The manuals can be accessed by clicking on the links embedded in the descriptions that follow:
- Volume 1, Building a Strong Foundation covers key concepts and strategies for effective programs. It describes the roles of all stakeholders and delineates important basic skills for Behavioral Health Providers. Be sure to review it if you are a new provider or administrator responsible for Primary Care-Mental Health Integration.
- Volume 2, Depression & Anxiety Management provides guidance on how to use care management principles to treat depression and anxiety in the primary care setting.
- Volume 3, At-Risk Drinking and Alcohol Dependence Management provides guidance on how to treat at-risk drinking and alcohol dependence in the primary care setting.
- Volume 4, Referral Management Program provides detailed instruction on care management programming designed to facilitate a smooth transition from primary care to specialty mental health care for patients in need of more intensive treatments than can be provided in primary care.
- Volume 5, Clinician Resources provides a wide range of informational handouts for mental health clinicians working as co-located collaborative providers or care managers.
- Volume 6, Patient Resources provides a wealth of information in the form of patient education handouts that providers can use as part of primary care-based interventions.