CESATE – Seattle
Center of Excellence in Substance Addiction Treatment & Education
In recognition of the burden of disease and mortality associated with substance use disorders, the Veterans Health Administration designated enhancement funds in the early 1990s to establish two Centers of Excellence in Substance Addiction (formerly Abuse) Treatment and Education (CESATE), including the Seattle CESATE located within the VA Puget Sound Healthcare System, Seattle Division.
The Seattle CESATE proudly serves as a national resource, with the mission of improving the quality, clinical outcomes and cost-effectiveness of health care for Veterans with substance use disorders. Since its inception, the Seattle CESATE's service goals have been to:
- Develop, implement, evaluate, and disseminate best clinical practices and educational initiatives along the continuum of care for substance use disorders.
- Provide education and training in treatment of substance use disorders.
- Provide consultation and technical assistance to program managers, medical center leadership and VA Central Office on issues relevant to quality care of Veterans with substance use disorders.
- Conduct clinical, health services, and educational research to improve the health of Veterans with substance use disorders.
The Seattle CESATE remains alert to national trends in substance misuse (e.g., the opioid epidemic), related consequences (e.g., intentional and unintentional overdose) and gaps in healthcare services (e.g. improving access to care), as well as new treatments and VA priorities (e.g. measurement-based care). In turn, we shift resources and focus when needed to address issues that are priorities to national and local leadership, treatment providers, and Veterans. Consistent with national VA priorities, current and future efforts of the Center will continue to:
- Expand access to treatments for substance use conditions in primary care clinics, mental health clinics, and community-based outpatient clinics.
- Improve identification and prevention of suicide among patients with substance use conditions.
- Develop and implement novel screening methods, treatments and delivery approaches, with the goal of developing and disseminating knowledge, educating providers about effective care, and improving Veteran quality of life.
Our Center is dedicated to improving the quality and effectiveness of care for Veterans with substance use disorders as we support national efforts to address substance use disorders by leveraging VA data to identify gaps in treatment, serving as a national resource for VA providers, and developing real-world, practical solutions to issues faced by Veterans with substance use disorders and their providers. Our Center also works closely with and supports the VA National Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Program Director for Substance Use Disorders.
Center of Excellence in Substance Addiction Treatment and Education
VA Puget Sound Healthcare System, Seattle Division
1660 S. Columbian Way (MC: S-116-ATC)
Seattle, WA 98108