MIRECC / CoE
Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Suicide Prevention
Updated: 13 February 2019
Therapeutic Risk Management of the Suicidal Patient
The Rocky Mountain MIRECC model of Therapeutic Risk Management of the Suicidal Patient is a clinically and medicolegally informed model for the assessment and management of suicide risk. It involves three main components:
- Augmentation of clinical risk assessment with structured instruments
- Risk stratification with respect to both severity and temporality
- Collaborative development of a safety plan
The model and its components are fully described in a series of four articles published in the Journal of Psychiatric Practice (see below under resources).
Watch the 2015 DCoE Webinar: Therapeutic Risk Management of the Suicidal Patient.
Risk Stratification Tool
The Risk Stratification Table is a tool designed to:
- help providers make determinations regarding suicide risk levels with respect to severity and temporality and to
- aid in suicide risk management clinical decision making.
VA Suicide Risk Management Consultation Program
Providing care for Veterans at risk of suicide may feel like a daunting responsibility. Why worry alone? The Rocky Mountain MIRECC offers free, one-on-one consultation for any provider (community as well as VA) who works with Veterans.
Tools + Support + Evidence-based Knowledge = Better Outcomes
Ask for an SRM consult by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
ResourcesLinks to articles about TRM:
- A Model for Therapeutic Risk Management of the Suicidal Patient
- Therapeutic Risk Management of the Suicidal Patient: Augmenting Clinical Suicide Risk Assessment with Structured Instruments
- Therapeutic Risk Management of the Suicidal Patient: Stratifying Risk in Terms of Severity and Temporality
- Therapeutic Risk Management of the Suicidal Patient: Safety Planning
Also, Dr. Greg Brown’s Review of Suicide Assessment Measures for Intervention Research with Adults and Older Adults
Links to safety planning resources:
Join the TRM Mailing List
You can sign-up for the TRM mailing list and receive notices such as the soon-to-be-released laminated Risk Stratification Tool!