Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Veteran Suicide Prevention
Suicide is complex but it is also preventable. Beyond treating Veterans in crisis there are so many ways to tackle this. When you look at the topics we investigate, from gut bacteria to community gatherings, you see the possibilities.
- Clinical Program: VA HOME Program
- 7 September 2017 - The VAntage Point blog has a story featuring Dr. Bridget Matarazzo from Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Veteran Suicide Prevention. The story, "New program allows VA staff to make house calls for Veterans who return home after inpatient mental health care" dives into how providing home care to Veterans after inpatient psychiatric care prevents suicide. Read the full story.
- Podcast: Life Experience Captured with Dese'Rae L. Stage
- 6 September 2017 - Live Through This #Stay...captured through the art, the lens, the stories of our lived experience. Adam caught up with Dese'Rae earlier this summer and this conversation is the result. I was listening in on the other line and she blew me away with her everything-ness. Adam would ask her about how she came up with this or that idea and Des would just say something like, "I got bored one day so I wrote this program/created this movie/started this movement." Yes, of course you did and we all benefited.
- Pub: Sexual dysfunction is associated with suicidal ideation in female service members and veterans
- 5 September 2017 - Dr. Lindsey Monteith is the co-author on this paper that explores the association of "sexual dysfunction, which may be a possible component of thwarted belonging and perceived burdensomeness, with suicidal ideation." Results suggest "screening for sexual dysfunction in female service members/veterans might help identify those at risk for suicidal ideation." Read the full article.
- Pub: The role of emotion regulation in predicting personality dimensions
- 30 August 2017 - Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Veteran Suicide Prevention Post-Doc Fellow Lauren Borges, PhD, published "The role of emotion regulation in predicting personality dimensions" in Personality and Mental Health. From the article abstract "These findings provide preliminary evidence that some personality dimensions never assessed in relation to emotion regulation are strongly predicted by emotion regulation variables."
- Pub: Formal firearm training among adults in the USA: results of a national survey
- 29 August 2017 - Joseph A. Simonetti, MD, MPH from Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Veteran Suicide Prevention was co-author on this paper published in BMJ Journals. The article explored what percent of firearm owners had taken a formal training course (61% versus 56-58% in 1994). Additionally, they looked at the content of the courses and found that 15% including information about suicide prevention. The authors recommend standardizing training and evaluating the effectiveness of the training.
- Podcast: Why’s it gotta be this hard? (Maybe it doesn’t)
- 23 August 2017 - Sometimes it can feel like making real progress in mental health (and perhaps especially suicide prevention) is an overwhelming, sometimes impossible task. How can we counter the “bigness” of the job? Dr. Barbara Van Dahlen, founder of Give an Hour, gives this advice: Go Simple
- Pub: Problem-Solving Therapy for Suicide Prevention in Veterans With Moderate-to-Severe Traumatic Brain Injury
- 14 August 2017 - Authors from Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Veteran Suicide Prevention published today in Rehabilitation Psychology. The article explored the "acceptability and feasibility of Problem-Solving Therapy for Suicide Prevention (PST-SP)" for Veterans with hopelessness and moderate to severe TBI. Initial indications are positive. The next research step is to conduct a Phase II randomized controlled trial. Stay tuned!
- Podcast: Looking 30 Years Ahead and 30 Years Behind with David A. Jobes, Ph.D., ABPP
- 9 August 2017 - Earlier this summer I called Dave and hit the record button. What followed was a chance to look forward into the future of suicide prevention based on 30 years of work and research in our chosen field of suicide prevention. Listening to Dave you can get the sense that we are on the cusp of dramatic changes in how we treat the individuals in our care.
VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System
1055 Clermont ST
Denver, CO 80220
Salt Lake City
VA Salt Lake City health Care System
500 Foothill DR
Salt Lake City, UT 84148