Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Veteran Suicide Prevention
- Pub: The Microbiome in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Trauma-Exposed Controls: An Exploratory Study
- 18 July 2017 - This article explores the possible association between gut microbiota and PTSD. Dr. Lisa Brenner and members of the MVM-CoRE co-authored this paper. Read more.
- Pub: Implementation Methods for the Caring Contacts Suicide Prevention Intervention
- 18 July 2017 - Dr. Bridget Matarazzo is an author on this article exploring Caring Contacts. "Four decades of research has indicated that the Caring Contacts intervention may be an efficacious, scalable, and low-cost intervention for reducing suicide behaviors." September 2016 we released a podcast with Dr. Kate Comtois, also an author on this publication, in which she discusses Caring Contacts. Listen to the Caring Contacts - Simple and Meaningful podcast.
- Podcast: A Pocket Guide for Clinicians for Management of Chronic Pain
- 12 July 2017 - Adam Hoffberg discusses Chronic Pain with colleagues from the VA VISN 16 South Central MIRECC. Drs. Aruna Gottumukkala and Paul Sloan created a timely resource called the “Pocket Guide for Clinicians for Management of Chronic Pain.” With the opioid epidemic raging in the background this podcast is ever so timely.
- Apply Now for eInternship with Rocky Mountain MIRECC: Enhancing the Accessibility & Reach of the VA Rocky Mountain MIRECC Suicide Prevention Podcast
- 10 July 2017 - Are you interested in raising awareness about research and community efforts to prevent Veteran suicide? Participate in the development and dissemination of the Rocky Mountain MIRECC Short Takes on Suicide Prevention podcast and other educational products. Applications are open now through July 26. For more information on this eInternship project.
Apply at: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/471416100 - Be sure to reference Project Code VA-USA-8
- Pub: Growing literature but limited evidence: A systematic review regarding prebiotic and probiotic interventions for those with traumatic brain injury and/or posttraumatic stress disorder
- 7 July 2017 - In this publication the RMIRECC authors highlight: TBI & PTSD are highly prevalent & often occur together; Inflammation may play key role in symptom onset & perpetuation in both conditions; Efficacious treatments for co-occurring TBI & PTSD symptoms are extremely limited; Identified studies suggested some promise; Conclusions limited by variability in methods, supplements & outcomes of interest; Larger trials are needed to explore biological signatures & clinical outcomes. Read more.
- Pub: The Association Between Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Perceptions of Deployment-Related Injury in Veterans With and Without Mild Traumatic Brain Injury
- 6 July 2017 - The RMIRECC authors looked at the perception of injuries for Veterans with PTSD and whether the perceptions differ if the Veteran has a mild TBI and no TBI. The important takeaway is "Altering injury perceptions may be an important treatment target for Veterans with co-occurring PTSD and deployment-related injuries." Read more.
- Video: Veterans and PTSD: Challenging the Misconceptions
- 30 June 2017 - There are many misconceptions about Veterans and PTSD. Understanding what we really know can help Veterans connect with the services they need to live a better life. Clinical Research Psychologist, Dr. Suzanne McGarity from the Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Suicide Prevention describes what research shows about Veterans and PTSD. Watch the video on YouTube.
- Podcast: Team Rubicon: Regaining a sense of purpose, community and identity
- 28 June 2017 - Melissa continues her community reintegration series with Amanda Burke from Team Rubicon. The Team Rubicon message is "Disasters are our business. Veterans are our passion." And you'll hear it in Amanda's voice as she describes her own journey and her continuing passion.
- Podcast: Meet Matt (human) and James (canine) from Warrior Canine Connection
- 21 June 2017 - Meet Matt (human) and James (canine), who became friends through shared service - and maybe a little bit of fate. When Matt returned home to the States, after a stay at Walter Reed, he joined Warrior Canine Connection only reluctantly. In this interview, Matt shares his experience working through to the other side of TBI and PTSD, and the role James plays.
- Podcast: Suicide Prevention in the Construction Industry with Sally Spencer-Thomas PhD
- 14 June 2017 - The Bridging the Divide Conference is an annual event in Denver put on by Suicide Prevention Coalition of Colorado and this year we caught up with the very busy, very energetic Sally Spencer-Thomas. Lately, Sally has taken up suicide prevention work in the construction industry. This was not a population I was familiar with but as you'll find in listening to this podcast the overlap between this industry and Veterans is surprisingly large.
The mission of the Rocky Mountain MIRECC (Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center) for Veteran Suicide Prevention is to study suicide with the goal of reducing suicidal ideation and behaviors in the Veteran population. Towards this end, the work of the Rocky Mountain MIRECC is focused on promising clinical interventions, as well as the cognitive and neurobiological underpinnings of suicidal thoughts and behaviors that may lead to innovative prevention strategies.
The vision of the Rocky Mountain MIRECC is: Veterans, their families, and the VHA will have increased information and options to make health decisions aimed at decreasing suicide risk.