MIRECC / CoE
Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Veteran Suicide Prevention
Suicide is complex but it is also preventable. Beyond treating Veterans in crisis there are so many ways to tackle this. When you look at the topics we investigate, from gut bacteria to community gatherings, you see the possibilities.
- Drs. Gutierrez and Joiner Receives Two Honors
- 5 July 2018 - The Military Suicide Research Consortium (MSRC) Co-Directors, Drs. Peter Gutierrez and Thomas Joiner, are honored by the recognition of the MSRC and their efforts as recipients of the 2018 Military Health System Research Symposium (MHSRS) Outstanding Research Accomplishment (Team/Academia) Award and the American Psychological Association (APA) Division 19 Society of Military Psychology’s 2018 Charles C. Gersoni Military Psychology Award. See the press release.
- Emmy Award Winning Video - Comedian and Navy Veteran Rodney Perry's Road to Recovery
- 28 June 2018 - This past weekend at the 60th annual National Capital Chesapeake Bay Chapter regional Emmy Awards, a segment produced for VA’s The American Veteran video series was awarded a regional Emmy by the National Capital Chesapeake Bay Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. A cool things about this video (other than this Veteran's phenomenal recovery here at the Denver VAMC) is that RMIRECC's own video producer, Rachel Warden, helped during the shooting and production phase in Denver! Watch the full video.
- Podcast: AAS Lived Experience - Part 2
- 27 June 2018 - This week we wrap our lived experience/expertise cycle with 2 short podcast related to postvention. Later this year we will unveil the Suicide Postvention Resource Center a website and resource center and these podcasts serve as an introduction of sorts:
The Journey of a Loss Survivor with Janet Schnell, MSW, LSW
Postvention: an Introduction with Sarra Nazem and Elaine de Mello
- Dr. Ryan Holliday Receives 2018 APA Early Career Achievement Award
- 25 June 2018 - Dr. Ryan Holliday,a psychology fellow at RMIRECC, is the recipient of the 2018 APA Early Career Achievement Award! He is one of 14 people to be chosen out of a very competitive pool of candidates based on his achievements and demonstration of leadership.
- Podcast: AAS Lived Experience - Part 1
- 20 June 2018 - During the 2018 AAS conference we had the opportunity to record a number of brief podcasts with leaders in the Lived Experience community. This week we'll release 3 of these and next week we'll drop the other 2. So for this week we have:
AFSP Suicide Outreach Program with Doreen Marshall and Shannon Donnick
AFSP Survivors of Suicide Loss Day with Doreen Marshal and Brandon English
Lived Expertise with DeQuincy Lezine
- Pub: Decreases in Suicide Cognitions After Cognitive Processing Therapy Among Veterans With Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Due to Military Sexual Trauma: A Preliminary Examination
- 14 June 2018 - Drs Lindsey Monteith and Ryan Holliday co-authored this paper examining suicide-specific beliefs over the course of treatment and follow-up in veterans who received cognitive processing therapy (CPT) for MST-related PTSD. "Hierarchical linear models revealed that veterans who received CPT had significant reductions in suicide-specific cognitions regarding unbearability, unlovability, and unsolvability. These preliminary findings warrant replication in a randomized controlled trial with a larger sample that includes participants with more acute suicidal intent." Read more
- Articles of Note in VA Health Services Research & Development Forum
- 8 June 2018 - RMIRECC researchers had a number of articles in the Spring 2018 online Forum from VA Health Services Research & Development. Drs Lisa A. Brenner, Claire Hoffmire, Nathaniel Mohatt, and Jeri E. Forster wrote "Preventing Suicide among Veterans Will Require Clinicians and Researchers to Adopt a Public Health Approach". Dr. Claire Hoffmire also co-wrote "Concerning Trends in Suicide Among Women Veterans Point to Need for More Research on Tailored Interventions" and Dr. Lindsey L. Monteith co-wrote "Research Seeks to Better Understand the Relationship between Combat-related Killing and Suicidal Ideation". Download the full newsletter
- Podcast: Never Worry Alone - The VA Suicide Risk Management Consultation Program
- 6 June 2018 - In this episode Adam has a great talk with Dr. Bridget Matarazzo about the VA Suicide Risk Management Consultation Program. The program has recently expanded so that anyone working with a Veteran and concerned about suicide can contact them for a free consultation. Bridget discusses the idea behind the service and the great team (Hal S. Wortzel, MD, Sarra Nazem, Ph.D., Georgia Gerard, LCSW, Kaily A. Cannizzaro, PsyD, and Peter Gutierrez, Ph.D.) that provides the consultation.
VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System
1055 Clermont ST
Denver, CO 80220
Salt Lake City
VA Salt Lake City Health Care System
500 Foothill DR
Salt Lake City, UT 84148