MIRECC / CoE
Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Veteran Suicide Prevention
Suicide is complex but it is also preventable. Beyond treating Veterans in crisis there are so many ways to tackle this. When you look at the topics we investigate, from gut bacteria to community gatherings, you see the possibilities.
- Podcast: Chain Analysis for Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors with Drs. Lauren Borges and Sean Barnes
- 13 August 2019 - This week we hand the mic to 2 researchers/clinicians, Sean Barnes and Lauren Borges, who explain how to use chain analysis in a treatment setting. Chain analysis is a truly collaborative approach that enlist the client to take a deep dive into the chain of events that lead up to the target behavior they want to change. It is a way to focus on "the processes that lead to the suffering." The work starts with the client deciding what the target behavior they want to change is, and then going back along the chain to the prompting event (first link in the chain), finding all the links between the first and last links and determining what vulnerabilities influence it all. And then focusing change on the links. Lauren and Sean break it down so it will make sense to you in your practice.
Listen to Chain Analysis for Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors
- Podcast: Veterans Trauma Courts with Judge David Shakes, Col (Ret.)
- 30 July 2019 - Our episode this week is our first as part of the VA Podcast Network and our 98th overall. Judge David Shakes presides over the 4th Judicial District Veterans Trauma Court (VTC) which encompasses El Paso and Teller Counties, Colorado. From January 2007 through January 2008 Colonel Shakes was assigned to Task Force 134, Multi-National Force-Iraq as the Rule of Law Advisor and Political/Military Advisor at the US Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq. In that capacity, he worked with Iraqi judges, prison officials, and the Ministers of Justice and Human Rights to improve the Iraqi criminal justice system concerning detention and prosecution of terrorists and insurgents. Prior to serving in Iraq, Colonel Shakes was the Chief Trial Judge of the Army Reserve.
Listen to Veterans Trauma Courts with Judge David Shakes, Col (Ret.)
- Postvention Podcast 10: Postvention Practices for Schools
- 16 July 2019 - “Speak the name of the beast and it will retreat;” When it comes to suicide postvention in school settings, “…it’s not whether or not we talk about it, it’s how we talk about it.” Join our host, Dr. Sarra Nazem as she welcomes Stan Collins, an expert with 20 years of postvention experience within school settings. Together they discuss considerations for developing and implementing a suicide postvention plan to assist students, teachers, administrators, and the surrounding community, and stress the importance of developing this plan even before a suicide loss occurs in an academic setting. Be sure to also check out the accompanying resources, including toolkits, manuals, and guideline documents that could help you and your school district jumpstart a comprehensive suicide prevention and postvention program today.
Listen to Postvention Practices for Schools
- PUB: Psychiatric Advance Directives: Origins, Benefits, Challenges, and Future Directions
- 16 July 2019 - This is a timely article explores a concept that has been around for decades Psychiatric Advance Directives (PAD). From the abstract, "Psychiatric advance directives (PADs) are legal documents that allow individuals with psychiatric illness to designate decisions, while competent, about their future psychiatric care were they to lose competency due to psychiatric illness in the future. Among other items, these documents often include preferences regarding a surrogate decision-maker, types of medications, doses and routes of medications, seclusion and restraints, electroconvulsive therapy, and instructions for care of their property while incapacitated." Read the full publication free.
The above image represents the Altmetric score or the 'attention' this publication is receiving from news outlets, Twitter, Facebook and others. Click on the doughnut to understand what attention this article is receiving.
- Postvention Podcast 9: Postvention Practices for Crisis Centers
- 2 July 2019 - Suicide postvention is “not something we should wait to talk about,” especially within crisis centers. Proactive training and planning are extremely beneficial to suicide postvention for crisis lines or call centers like the Veteran Crisis Line (VCL). Learn more about what crisis centers do & how crisis centers support their callers, their employees and the agencies they work with in this episode with our host Dr. Sarra Nazem and guests, Greg Hughes, LISCW and Joi Sabrina, LPC from the VCL.
Listen to Postvention Practices for Crisis Centers
Rocky Mountain Regional VAMC (RMR VAMC)
1700 N Wheeling St, G-3-116M
Aurora, CO 80045
Salt Lake City
VA Salt Lake City Health Care System
500 Foothill DR
Salt Lake City, UT 84148