MIRECC / CoE
Rocky Mountain MIRECC for Veteran Suicide Prevention
Suicide is complex but it is also preventable. Beyond treating Veterans in crisis there are so many ways to tackle this. When you look at the topics we investigate, from gut bacteria to community gatherings, you see the possibilities.
- Podcast: The VA/Clergy Partnership for Rural Veterans with Chaplain Steve Sullivan
- 3 December 2019 - For part 4 of our Moral Injury series Georgia Gerard interviews Chaplain Steve Sullivan about how he helped create the VA/Clergy Partnership for Rural Veterans. This partnership brings together community clergy, mental health providers, and others to help veterans gain access to both VA and community care and support. Steve worked to establish six ongoing VA/Clergy "community action boards" (CABs) in rural sites throughout Arkansas. He also served as Implementation Lead for the VA Community Clergy Training Program from 2016 to 2019. Steve has served as a hospital and VA chaplain for the last 15 years. Steve currently works as the "Community Coordinator" for VA Mental Health and Chaplaincy in Durham, NC and serves as co-leader of their "Collaborating in Care: Ministry and Mental Health" trainings..
Listen to The VA/Clergy Partnership for Rural Veterans with Chaplain Steve Sullivan
- Podcast: Time and Space and Keep On Keeping on with George Stoudemire
- 19 November 2019 - This week's episode was recorded at the VA/DoD Suicide Prevention in Nashville, TN, August 2019. Adam was at the conference and had put out the word that he was available to record podcasts. And so he met George Stoudemire. George is a Violence Prevention instructor for US Air Force. He got involved in the program after a 2nd suicide attempt. He heard that "To be part of the solution, I needed to be part of the process." And he has had a deep, personal dive into being part of the process and being part of the solution. And that includes short videos on his Facebook page (Lee Stoudemire) reminding folks that they matter. My takeaway from producing this episode is George has a zest for life will bring you into the process.
Listen to Time and Space and Keep On Keeping on with George Stoudemire
- Career Development Award for Dr. Diana Brostow
- 15 November 2019 - The Rocky Mountain MIRECC is excited to announce that one of our Principal Investigators, Dr. Diana Brostow, has recently been awarded funding of her Rehabilitation Research and Development (RR&D) Career Development Award (CDA) for her project, entitled “Nutritional Functioning in OEF/OIF/OND Veterans with Polytraumatic Injuries: Developing a New Approach”. Dr. Brostow will use this 5-year grant to build on her previous research in mental health and food insecurity to examine how injured Veterans view and use nutrition. OEF/OIF/OND Veterans with traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and associated conditions face a multitude of challenges when reintegrating into civilian life. Their eating habits, nutritional values, and access to safe, nutritious food, all of which comprise “nutritional functioning”, have yet to be examined, and Dr. Brostow’s innovative project will result in a new, validated measure that can be used to augment rehabilitation services for injured Veterans.
- Podcast: Duane France - Doing so many good things in so many ways
- 5 November 2019 - We first met Duane at a VA Mental Health Summit in Colorado Springs in 2018. We had heard of him through his Twitter presence @ThCounselingVet, knew he did his own podcast titled Head Space and Timing, was a combat Veteran, a licensed therapist and an author of Combat vet don't mean crazy: veteran mental health in post-military life and found out he is a heck of a nice guy. While it took over a year for us to get together and record this podcast and another 9 months to get it out we are proud to finally get him on our small channel. Meanwhile, Duane has dropped over 165 podcasts and published a second book, Head Space and Timing: Veteran Mental Health from a Combat Veteran Perspective.
Listen to Duane France - Doing so many good things in so many ways
Rocky Mountain Regional VAMC (RMR VAMC)
1700 N Wheeling St, G-3-116M
Aurora, CO 80045
Salt Lake City
VA Salt Lake City Health Care System
500 Foothill DR
Salt Lake City, UT 84148