There is substantial evidence for the integration of mental health services into primary care. Below are articles produced by VISN 4 MIRECC based on research related to the Philadelphia BHL. If you are interested in more integrated care references, refer to the Foundations for Integrated Care Training manuals in Resources and Tools.
- Oslin, D. W., Ross, J., Sayers, S., Murphy, J., Kane, V., & Katz, I. R. (2006). Screening, assessment, and management of depression in VA primary care clinics. The Behavioral Health Laboratory. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21(1), 46-50.
- Oslin, D. W., Sayers, S., Ross, J., Kane, V., Ten Have, T., Conigliaro, J., et al. (2003). Disease management for depression and at-risk drinking via telephone in an older population of veterans. Psychosomatic Medicine, 65(6), 931-937.
- Zanjani, F., Miller, B., Turiano, N., Ross, J., & Oslin, D. (2008). Effectiveness of telephone-based referral care management, a brief intervention to improve psychiatric treatment engagement. Psychiatric Services, 59(7), 776-781.
- Ross, J. T., TenHave, T., Eakin, A. C., Difilippo, S., & Oslin, D. W. (2008). A randomized controlled trial of a close monitoring program for minor depression and distress. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 23(9), 1379-1385.
- Tew, J., Klaus, J, Oslin, D. (2010). The Behavioral Health Laboratory: Building a Stronger Foundation for the Patient-Centered Medical Home. Families, Systems, and Health, 28(2): 130-145.
- Oslin, D. W., Lynch, K. G., Maisto S., A., Lantinga L. J., McKay J. R., Possemato K., Ingram E., & Wierzbicki M. (2013). A randomized clinical trial of alcohol care management delivered in Department of Veterans Affairs primary care clinics versus specialty addiction treatment. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 29(1):162-8.