MIRECC / CoE
VA Mental Health Lived Experience Community of Practice
How to Request Services:
Book a VHA mental health provider with lived experience to speak at:
- Grand Rounds
- Mental Health Summits
- Trainings on Recovery-Oriented Care or Diversity
We connect VA facilities with mental health professionals who have lived with a mental health challenge. Research shows that mental health providers who have professional role models with lived experience make more recovery oriented, empowering clinical decisions.
Please contact VHAMHLESpeakers@va.gov
Consult with a VHA mental health provider with lived experience to:
- Improve workplace acceptance, diversity, and inclusion
- Learn best practices
- Increase your own coping skills
We connect VA facilities and personnel with VHA mental health professionals who have lived with a mental health challenge and dealt positively with workplace issues. Research shows that mental health providers who have been taught to use lived experience in the workforce better identify with Veterans and coworkers who manage mental health challenges, which leads to more effective care for Veterans and a more welcoming and productive workplace.
Please contact VHAMHLEConsultants@va.gov
Click on each + to see additional resources below:
- Boyd, J. E., Graunke, B., Frese, F. J., Jones, J. T. R., Adkins, J. W., & Bassman, R. (2016). State psychology licensure questions about mental illness and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 86(6), 620–631. https://doi.org/10.1037/ort0000177
- Boyd, J. E., Zeiss, A., Reddy, S., & Skinner, S. (2016). Accomplishments of 77 VA mental health professionals with a lived experience of mental illness. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 86(6), 610-619. https://doi.org/10.1037/ort0000208
- Harris, J. I., Leskela, J., & Hoffman-Konn, L. (2016). Provider lived experience and stigma. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 86(6), 604–609. https://doi.org/10.1037/ort0000179
- Harris, J.I., Leskela, J., Lakhan, S. et al. Developing Organizational Interventions to Address Stigma Among Mental Health Providers: A Pilot Study. Community Ment Health J 55, 924–931 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-019-00393-w
- Jones JTR, North CS, Vogel-Scibilia S, Myers MF, Owen RR. (2018). Medical Licensure Questions About Mental Illness and Compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law, 46(4):458-471. DOI:10.29158/JAAPL.003789-18
- Kundra, L.B. & Salzer, M.S. (2019): Out of the shadows: supporting social workers with a mental illness. Social Work in Mental Health, https://doi.org/10.1080/15332985.2019.1576155
- Vierthaler, J. M., & Elliott, E. C. (2020, July 16). A Shared Lived Experience of a Psychologist Battling a Mental Health Crisis. Psychological Services. Advance online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/ser0000489
PDF Documents - To read PDF documents, you need a PDF viewer. The link to the free viewer software for Adobe Reader is available here.
Disclaimer of external hyperlinks: This webpage contains links to webpages outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs website. The VA neither endorses nor has responsibility for the content of these external webpages.