MIRECC / CoE
VISN 5 MIRECC - Continuing Education for Peer Support Specialists
VISN 5 MIRECC Peer Specialist Educational Webinar Series
The VISN 5 MIRECC Education Core runs a webinar series aimed at providing continuing education to VA Peer Specialists. These webinars are developed and presented by MIRECC investigators and VA mental health staff and aim to describe useable strategies and tools that VA Peer Specialists can implement in their work with Veterans. Webinars are publicized to VA Peer Specialists locally, within the VISN, and nationally.
- March 29, 2018
Peers on Primary Care PACT
- Richard Goldberg, Lori Kiefer, Frederick Nardei Jr
- This initiative embedded Peers on Primary Care PACT teams. Two Peer Specialists provide descriptions and case examples from their work.
- Download Evaluation of Peer Specialists on VA Patient Aligned Care Teams
- Download Peer Support Pilot VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System (VAPHS) OEF/OIF/OND Post-deployment Clinic
- Download Peer Support Pilot Southern Arizona VA Health Care (SAVAHCS) Women’s Health Clinic
- October 31, 2017
Smoking and Veterans: What Peer Specialists Can Do to Help Veterans Quit
- Melanie Bennett
- Practical strategies that Peers can utilize with Veterans to discuss, plan, and refer for smoking cessation
- Download Smoking and Veterans: What Peer Specialists Can Do to Help Veterans Quit Part 1
- Download Smoking and Veterans: What Peer Specialists Can Do to Help Veterans Quit Part 2
- June 20, 2017
EASE-ing Self Stigma
- Amy Drapalski, Vonda Sykes
- Self-Stigma is harm caused when people start to define themselves by stereotypes they are exposed to.
- EASE is a program for all mental health staff to help people reduce or avoid the effects of self-stigma.
- Download EASE-ing Self Stigma
- January 26, 2017
Screening and Brief Intervention (SBIRT) for Substance Use
- Letitia Travaglini
- Screening and Brief Intervention tools can assist Peers to engage Veterans to access substance use treatment.
- Download Screening and Brief Intervention (SBIRT) for Substance Use
- October 17, 2016
Art and Creative Expression
- Brandi Daugherty, Rosemary Culver, Shirley Maniece
- Provided examples of successful art and creative expression activities designed to promote Veteran mental health recovery.
- Download Art & Creative Expression
- March 10, 2016
The Role of Peers in Suicide Prevention
- Jonathan Holland, Danielle Jahn
- Provides facts on suicide, prevention, and guidelines for Peers to assist Veterans in distress, that are effective and within the Peers scope of practice
- Download The Role of Peers in Suicide Prevention
- November 5, 2015
Person Centered Care: Tips and Tools for Providing Culturally Informed Mental Health Care
- Samantha Hack
- Culturally Informed Care is an approach that emphasizes learning and valuing each individual Veteran’s cultural experience in order to provide the most respectful and effective person centered interventions
- Download PERSON CENTERED CARE: TIPS AND TOOLS FOR PROVIDING CULTURALLY INFORMED MENTAL HEALTH CARE
- May 29, 2015
Promoting Self-Care for VA Peer Specialists
- Stephanie Park
- An important part of maintaining one’s own health and Recovery, and one’s effectiveness as a Peer Specialist is a commitment to engaging in regular self-care. Tips and strategies are provided.
- December 19, 2014
Using Tools to Discuss and Promote Health Behavior Change
- Melanie Bennett
- Promoting healthy behavior can occur when Veterans are ambivalent about change. Strategies are provided for Peers to engage Veterans in contemplating and committing to change.
- August 8, 2014
Making Effective Use of your Recovery Story
- Ralf Schneider
- Sharing one’s recovery story is a valuable strategy to engage fellow Veterans in change. However, the usefulness of this strategy depends on how you communicate it, staying mindful of why you are sharing and what is both appropriate and useful for the Veteran to hear.