MIRECC / CoE
Courage Group | South Central MIRECC
The Courage Group was developed as a 12-week outpatient therapy group for Veterans who had experienced sexual trauma by Drs. Dana Foley and Michelle Sherman in 1995. This included Veterans with a history of childhood sexual abuse, sexual assault in adulthood, and military sexual trauma (MST). This educational group draws on cognitive and behavioral principles to promote healing, self-discovery, and self-efficacy. The revised manual includes:
- Specific information about the experience of MST and its impact on functioning.
- Addition of four new topic areas – “Surviving Military Sexual Trauma,” “Grief and Loss,” “Self-forgiveness,” and “Moving Forward.”
- A modular design that allows clinicians to vary the length of treatment according to specific group needs or the clinical setting (e.g., specialty mental health, primary care).
- Removal of imaginal exposure from the treatment protocol.
- A new companion patient workbook that includes all in-session activities and recommended homework assignments. This workbook is intended to supplement treatment. It should NOT be used as a self-help guide.
- Published 1995 | Updated 2021
Derrecka Boykin, PhD, Natalie Hundt, PhD, and Dana D. Foley, PhD.
What Do You Think About This Product?
Let us know by answering this 2-minute anonymous survey.
Use of these Materials and Finding VA Health Care
Please note that the health care information provided in these materials is for educational purposes only. It does not replace the role of a medical practitioner for advice on care and treatment. If you are looking for professional medical care, find your local VA healthcare center by using the VA Facilities Locator & Directory. This page may contain links that will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.
Other products you might like...
Last updated: August 2, 2023