MIRECC / CoE
Mental Health Resources for Older Veterans | South Central MIRECC
SC MIRECC Clinical Education Products benefit the mental health care of rural and other underserved Veterans. These products are free to the public. Download products using the links below. Use our order form to receive a hard copy by mail. Join our email list to receive SC MIRECC updates.
View complete clinical education product inventory
Featured Mental Health Resources for Older Veterans
- Collaborative Safety Planning for Older Adults
The manual is a collection of best practices and practical tips for safety planning, with a focus on issues that are common in older adult patients.
- Best practices and practical tips for safety planning, with a focus on issues that are common in older adult patients
- Increases the quality of safety plans and the likelihood that they will be understood and used by Veterans
- Includes video that gives overview of the safety planning and how to use the manual
- Published 2016
- Multi-Setting Peaceful Mind: A Manual to Aid in the Management of Anxiety in Veterans with Memory Impairment
This easy-to-follow manual outlines an evidence-supported cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) treatment for anxiety for older Veterans with dementia or cognitive impairment.
- Includes worksheets for patients
- Published 2013 | Updated 2020
- Pocket Guide for Clinicians for Management of Chronic Pain
Helps primary care clinicians and trainees gain a basic understanding of pain and facilitate early assessment and interventions. Includes:
- Brief synopsis of the various aspects of pain management
- Pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions known to be effective for pain management
- Overview of Stepped Care Model for Pain Management
- Published 2017
- Self-Help STOP WORRY: A Tool for Older Veterans
This is a user-friendly, guided cognitive behavioral treatment of generalized anxiety disorder for Veterans 60 years of age or older who experience high levels of worry and anxiety (CD is no longer available).
- The workbooks contain eight chapters detailing skills, including anxiety education and awareness, relaxation (Diaphragmatic Breathing and Progressive Muscle Relaxation [PMR]), problem solving, cognitive therapy, exposure and behavioral sleep management.
- Self-help workbook contains practice exercises and forms to monitor progress
- Workbook may be used independently or as a part of formal treatment
- Published 2011 | Updated 2020
What Do You Think About This Product?
Let us know by answering this 2-minute anonymous survey.
Use of these Materials and Finding VA Health Care
Please note that the health care information provided in these materials is for educational purposes only. It does not replace the role of a medical practitioner for advice on care and treatment. If you are looking for professional medical care, find your local VA healthcare center by using the VA Facilities Locator & Directory. This page may contain links that will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.
Last updated: January 8, 2021