MIRECC / CoE
National CBOC Mental Health Grand Rounds | South Central MIRECC
December 2019 Webinar
A Public Health Approach to Talking About Firearms and Death by Suicide
Kevin S. Beasley, LCSW
Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 8-9 am CT
Thursday, December 12, 2019, 11am-12 pm CT (repeat)
This webinar series provides training on evidence-based practices, research, and new issues in mental health. The target audience is mental health providers in VA CBOCs. However, all VA providers can attend. There is 1 free CEU for JA IPCE, ACCME, ANCC, APA, ASWB, NBCC, NYSED SW.
You have two chances to attend this webinar. Do NOT select "Assign to Me" as this will not register you. Select "Register Now." Then select the event you want to attend. Register for one webinar only.
This webinar is co-sponsored by the VHA Office of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention.
After attending the CBOC Mental Health Grand Rounds learners should be able to:
- Discuss the direct impact of gun ownership on death by suicide in America.
- List at least two key public health techniques for talking with all Veterans and families about firearm safety.
- Describe language to avoid when talking about firearm safety (“Word on the street”).
- Discuss safety collaboration as a core strategy for reducing death by suicide for all Veterans who own firearms and their families.
- URL: http://va-eerc-ees.adobeconnect.com/r2d57915eod/
- VA Providers: You should join through VA TMS. If you have trouble, join directly at http://va-eerc-ees.adobeconnect.com/r2d57915eod/. You will have to access TMS afterwards to get CEU. Contact the TMS Help Desk for assistance.
- Audio is through your computer speakers. Call 1.800.767.1750 x37009 if you need to listen by phone.
- You have 30 days after the training to complete the program evaluation to get your accredited certificate. After 30 days, the program expires.
- In TMS, select “My History.”
- Find the training in your history and select “View Details” from the dialog box that opens when you tab to or hover over the title. DO NOT select “print certificate” as this creates a generic TMS certificate.
- In the Completed Work Details screen, find the section named “Accreditation Details.”
- Select the “Print Accredited Certificate” button next to your preferred CEU.
Invited presenters can read our guidelines (PDF) to learn what to submit for their webinar. Your slides must include tips for how CBOC and rural providers can use what you will teach in clinical practice. Read our rural/CBOC needs checklist (PDF) to learn the special needs of CBOC and rural providers.
If you would like to get email alerts for the CBOC MH Grand Rounds and other SC MIRECC products, sign up for our email group.
- January 8 & 9, 2020 - Revealing the ‘Best Kept Secret in VA’: Collaborating with Vet Centers to Optimize Veteran Care
- February 12 & 13, 2020 - Ethics & Telehealth
- March 11 & 12, 2020 - Survivorship: Practical Tips for Facilitating Insight, Recovery, and Possible Growth in the Context of Suicidal Grief
- April 8 & 9, 2020 - Ethics and Moral Injury
- May 13 & 14, 2020 - Provider Safety
- June 10 & 11, 2020 - To be determinded
Select recordings of webinars are accredited for CEU. Visit the accredited recordings webpage to take trainings from 2018 in TMS.
Currently, recorded trainings can only be accessed by VA providers but we are putting them in VHA TRAIN for non-VA providers and will post the links online soon.
Each recording is accredited for 1 hour of CEU. Recent webinar recordings will be accredited and posted online when they are available.
Last updated: December 6, 2019