MIRECC / CoE
A Veteran's Guide to Discussing STORES | South Central MIRECC
A Veteran's Guide to Discussing STORES: Secure Storage to Reduce Suicide Risk
Suicide is preventable. Fellow Veterans, family members and friends are important in preventing suicide and saving Veterans’ lives. By asking about suicide, fellow Veterans let Veterans know that they can talk about their thoughts of suicide. These materials are for Veterans who want to help prevent Veteran suicide. Includes:
- STORES Full Guide - The complete guide with all examples and dialogues incorporated into the guide.
- STORES Brief Guide – A streamlined version of the STORES full guide. Additional material is available in the appendix if Veterans want more information.
- STORES Brochure – Introduces the concept of secure storage and tips for talking to other Veterans about secure storage.
- Family Flyer – Discusses secure storage in context of suicide prevention for the entire family.
- Children’s Flyer – Discusses secure storage in context of keeping children safe in the home.
- Published 2023
This product is a best practice.
Jennifer L. Bryan, PhD, Steve G. Caloudas, PhD, Aeron-Justin Bali, BS, Cheryl, L. Cabusas, LCSW, and Ali Abbas Asghar-Ali, MD. The authors of the flyers are Elizabeth Kleeman, LCSW and Bindi Naik-Mathuria, MD.
What Do You Think About This Product?
Let us know by answering this 2-minute anonymous survey.
Use of these Materials and Finding VA Health Care
Please note that the health care information provided in these materials is for educational purposes only. It does not replace the role of a medical practitioner for advice on care and treatment. If you are looking for professional medical care, find your local VA healthcare center by using the VA Location Directory. This page may contain links that will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.
Other products you might like...
Last updated: November 9, 2023