MIRECC / CoE
Walking to Wellness: Exercise for Physical and Emotional Health | South Central MIRECC
This walking program is for Veterans who want to use exercise to help manage their emotional symptoms and improve their physical health. Program materials were completely revised and updated in 2023.
- For Veterans experiencing mild to moderate stress, anxiety or depression symptoms.
- Workbook can be used alone as a self-help guide.
- Includes exercise tip sheets, activity planning worksheets, and personal logs to record experiences.
- Features new supplemental guides for mindful walking and walking with a caregiver:
- Integrating Mindfulness Into Walking Activities defines mindfulness and how to use mindfulness techniques when walking.
- Caregiver Walking Together has information and suggestions to help caregivers walk with someone who has dementia or other cognitive impairment.
- Facilitator manual provides current scientific background on exercise and mental health and gives suggestions for using the materials with individuals and groups.
- Published 2015 | Updated 2023
This product is a best practice.
Patricia Dubbert, PhD, Ashley McDaniel, MA, and Barbara Stetson, PhD.
What Do You Think About This Product?
Let us know by answering this 2-minute anonymous survey.
Use of these Materials and Finding VA Health Care
Please note that the health care information provided in these materials is for educational purposes only. It does not replace the role of a medical practitioner for advice on care and treatment. If you are looking for professional medical care, find your local VA healthcare center by using the VA Facilities Locator & Directory. This page may contain links that will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.
Other products you might like...
Last updated: November 24, 2023